Tuesday 7 February 2012

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

I'm obsessed by my local butchers shop, McKanna Meats. It's the real thing - all kinds of animals hanging from the ceiling, lines outside every morning and it's a genuine thrill just going in there. In fact I've walked most of my friends up the road to visit. It's not just the atmosphere and the fact that everyone working there is so friendly: the meat is reliably amazing, good value and they really know what they're talking about. 

One of my favourite things amongst the goodies are their chorizo sausages. I've not found any like these anywhere, apart from Brindisa who sell a pack of five 'dulce chorizo' online for £18.95!!! McKanna's are equally sweet, not stuffed with peppers like the supermarket variety and not particularly spicy. Personally, I don't love the food I buy to come spiced, I'd rather create the 'heat' level myself, so aside from anything else, these are a flexible choice.

I'm always looking for an excuse to buy these delicious sausages and when one of the butchers told me about a dish he'd recently made with the chorizo, black pudding and pancetta (which I also find unbelievably exciting - it comes in a block!!) I was determined to give it a go myself. It has evolved a bit since the first time I made it, simply because it's easier to serve it this way.

This is a rich and meaty dish. I'd serve it with a rocket salad with olives and sundried tomatoes, or some new potatoes with a simple nob of butter. Or both!


Ravaged Chicken



Ingredients
1 chicken, de-boned. If you're scared about boning it yourself, ask your butcher to.
4 chorizo sausages, cut into 1 inch chunks
100g Spanish black pudding, crumbled into large-ish chunks
100g Pancetta, chopped into 1 inch chunks
2 shallots, sliced
A nob of butter
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
A handful of mixed wild mushrooms
A handful of sage
A sprig of rosemary
Zest of half a lemon
A glug of olive oil
Salt and black pepper to season
2 skewers

Oven On
Preheat your oven to 170°C on the fan setting.


Prepare the Stuffing
For the stuffing, fry the pancetta in a very lightly oiled pan on a high heat. It's very fatty, so the oil is just there to help render down the fat. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. With the fat left in the pan, fry the sage until it's crispy but not discoloured and add this to the bowl. Continuing in the same way, fry the chorizo and then the black pudding.
Clean the pan and sweat the shallots with some of the butter on a low heat. Add this to the bowl.
Add the rest of the butter to the pan with the mushrooms, sprig of rosemary and the garlic. Once the mushrooms have changed colour and absorbed the butter, add it all to the bowl.


Assemble
Now, lay the de-boned chicken skin-side down on a clean chopping board and cover with stuffing, spooning it on until about two thirds is covered. Start rolling it, starting from the stuffed end, as tightly as you can and secure with two skewers.
Place the stuffed bird on a roasting tin and pour over the olive oil, lemon zest and season with salt and plenty of pepper. Cook at 170°C fan for an hour and slice it at the table.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment